Front Door Lock Replacement: Questions You Should Ask
Your front door is the entrance to your humble abode. Your castle where you relax after a hard day’s work, make memories with friends and family, and where you keep your most precious belongings.
All of which is why the front door lock on your home is so important, and is why you should take care to ask the right questions before making the upgrade.
Replacing front door locks is something you may need to do more than one time during the duration of your stay. Worn out mechanicals, change of tenants or residents, and even break-ins are all prime reasons (among others) as to why you may need to replace your front door lock.
This guide will help you determine which type of front door lock is right for you by asking the right questions before making the switch.
For example, there are a number of factors to be considered, such as security, the reputation of the company installing your lock, and what you want your lock to do. Finding a knowledgeable commercial locksmith or residential locksmith will enable you to get an expert opinion on your new lock.
Know the Purpose of Your New Lock and Your Requirements
Each lock can serve a unique purpose, and different people will have different desires for their new locking mechanism. You may simply need to replace an older setup that does not work as well, or sticks when a key is put in it. While others may be in search of a higher level of security. Understanding what you need out of a lock is key, no pun intended, to finding the right replacement.
A few things to keep in mind when choosing your front door lock over other types of locks:
- A lock meant for your front door should be outfitted with a deadbolt. While multiple deadbolts are an option, you need at least one to properly secure your door.
- A keyed door handle is a nice addition to a lock, but it should not be the main point of security for any lock.
- Locks that may be suitable for indoor reasons, such as locking a bathroom door, do not provide enough security for an outdoor lock.
With these considerations in mind, let’s take a look at residential and commercial lock options.
The Role of your Residential Lock
Residential locks, in conjunction with your door, represent the main physical security barrier between a would-be thief and your family’s valuables. A properly selected and installed front door lock can provide a sense of safety and peace of mind for those living within the residence.
You need to guard against:
- Lock bumping (using pressure to force the cylinders in a lock into position with any key)
- Lock picking
- Forceful pressure applied to a deadbolt until it breaks
There are other things to consider as well, such as:
- How often do you keep your door locked or unlocked?
- How many people need access to your home?
- Depending on the level of wear, you may need a lock that can be repaired easily
- Do you want a smart lock or a traditional lock?
- Are you renting out a property that you also need access to?
The Role of a Commercial Lock
It is also important to protect your business assets. There are many lock options for commercial businesses, such as high-security locks that provide superior security. Businesses also often represent situations where a smart lock or keypad lock may be a great option.
With a smart lock:
- You can distribute and delete e-keys as needed
- Remote access is an option
- Integrated into a security system, you can observe your business when you are away
The type of lock you want for your business will vary depending on:
- The number of employees you have
- If you have vendors or visitors stopping by
- Where your business is located
A commercial locksmith will be able to help you assess your security needs and pick the lock that is appropriate for you.
What is your Level of Desired Security?
This may seem like a silly question, but it is not. By conducting a security assessment of your home or office, you can decide on a practical level of security. A residential locksmith or commercial locksmith who is an expert at what they do will also be able to help you conduct this assessment.
Businesses and homes often have very different security needs and levels of risk.
This can come down to:
- Where you are located
- What you are protecting
- Your budget
- Other security measures that are in place
You may live in an area where you would rather stick to a certain budget than be concerned with a high-security option. Conversely, you may be in a position where money is of no consequence when considering security. It is also prudent to consider what type of door you have as this may limit your options.
How do you Find and Choose the Quality of the Lock and Your Locksmith Service?
Choosing a lock can be confusing. Apart from considering brand names, it is more important to consider the quality of a lock. Any lock can claim to be guaranteed or to have a good warranty, but which ones are really the best?
There are a lot of locks out there, and your choices can be confusing, so consult your locksmith on the options that offer the best quality. It is absolutely essential to find a locksmith who can give you concrete opinions on the different types of locks, or you may get lost in trying to choose the right lock for you.
What Type of Lock is Best Suitable for You?
There are many different lock types to consider. For example, do you want a traditional lock or a smart lock? When replacing front door lock-sets, choose a lock that will serve the right purpose and last for years.
Contact a Professional Local Locksmith
Front door lock replacement can be a hassle. You may not know how to change a front door lock or may be confused as to which lock to choose. When it comes to protecting your home or business, you do not want to take chances with a lock that is poor quality or not installed properly.
It is important to find a residential locksmith or a commercial locksmith that is an expert in their field.
A qualified locksmith:
- Can help you assess your security needs
- Will be able to show you the best quality locks
- Will not be concerned with a brand name over lock features
- Will show personal concern for the protection of your home or office
- Can easily install your new front door lock with ease
Locks can be tricky to install and expensive to repair. Keep this in mind when choosing your lock, as every lock will need maintenance eventually. Rely on a quality locksmith near you to provide you with the best service.